What does the following knee MRI result indicate?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 29 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Knee Mir result multiple areas of deteriorating,meniscus tear,tricompartmental arthritis and partially ruptured bakers cyst what am I facing
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs joint replacement

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

You are suffering from severe arthritis of the knee.
The three compartments are involved which makes it very painful to walk or flex the knee. The Baker's cyst occurs at the back of the knee. Since it has ruptured it can cause severe pain in the calf muscles.

Avoid climbing stairs, squatting, cross leg sitting, kneeling. Apply hot water bag for relief. Pain killers will also be useful. Joint injections in the form of Steroid or Hyaluronic acid all reduce the pain and stiffness for about 3 months.

I would recommend you to get the joint replaced.

Kindly upload the Xray film if possible for me to be in a better position to help you.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 7 hours later
QTHank you am an RN soon. To retire Knewthe answer but was hoping for the best as other knee, my lower spine And cervical spine also affected so recovery will be a challenge
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Multiple joint arthritis needs lifestyle modification

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Congratulations in advance on becoming an RN

These multiple problems are due to age related changes of Osteoarthritis which tend to affect many joints.

It would be best to apply heat to the painful joints in the form of hot water Bag. Avoid moving around the joints much. Try Aerobic exercises to help keep fit.

Wishing you a healthy living.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj