What does the following eye test report of a child indicate?

Dr. Remy Koshy

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Dear Doctor,

This is to discuss case history of my niece who is going to turn 6 years old this year.

She had an eye exam around 11 months back and was diagnosed following. Pl. see the attached report for eye power and other parameters. She was immediately put on glasses and has been doing eye patching from XXXXXXX 2016.

1. ANISOMETROPIA (EYE CONDITION)     
2. ASTIGMATISM, BOTH EYES          
3. RIGHT AMBLYOPIA (EYE CONDITION) - This is quite better as the child does eye patching for 2-3 hours everyday from last 9 months
4. RIGHT INTERMITTENT EXOTROPIA
5. LEFT INFERIOR OBLIQUE MUSCLE DYSFUNCTION

We have seen improvement in her vision as she is able to read last lines too with glasses and has passed 3D vision test too. But the doctor is suggesting for eye surgery in both the eyes to address issues mentioned in point 4 and 5. As per him for far vision her eye deviates 50% of times when she tries to focus.

Can you pl. suggest if we should start with some vision therapy first and try to train her eyes. Or is going for surgery is the only option ?

What happens if we do not go for surgery till she is old enough , like 18 years of age ?
Answered by Dr. Remy Koshy 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Explained below..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for posting your query in HealthcareMagic,

I have read through your query and have also viewed the attached reports,

I will try to explain your daughter's condition to you in a simple way possible. In short, the reason why her vision is affected is due to the dysfunctioning of one of the major muscles involved in maintaining a proper vision. To focus at an object placed far from the eye, the muscles has to relax accordingly in-order to widen the number of light rays entering the eyes, so as to obtain a clear image in the retina of the eye. Similarly, the muscles has to contract simultaneously in-order to focus at an object placed near to the eyes so as to limit the amount of rays entering the eyes from the nearer object.

But, when one of those muscles involved fails to function to its utmost capability, there occurs defects in vision which may appear to the outer eye as squint, refractory errors in both eyes.

The mode of treatment aims at strengthening the muscle involved so as to lessen the defective vision.

Surgical correction is the most apt and reliable option at this point of time taking into regard the age of the child. It is to be done at the younger age itself, because after that, it becomes difficult to operate as the defect in the vision may go severe or permanent.

I would suggest it best for you to follow the treating doctor's expert opinion, and go accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to discuss further or else kindly close and give your feedback.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana