What does the following chest X-ray result indicate?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: work in tungsten carbide shop, chest x ray cloudy,doctor suspects fibrosis- no fever just a cough.never smoked , worked in shop 5 years, last years x ray clear, getting CT scan,breathing test then biopsy if needed - could it be something else than fibrosis ?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It might be a lung fibrosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome in HCM

I can understand your concern.

Yes the dust environment or the environment around the work can cause pulmonary fibrosis.

Usually these patients have dry cough for a long time and breathlessness.

I fully agree with the tests you are going to do (HRCT of the lungs,Spirometry test with bronchodilatators and then biopsy sample if needed).

In my opinion and according to the history it might be a lung fibrosis.

When you will have the results you can attach me and i am here to help you again.

DR.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Jnikolla 7 minutes later
That I understand and no cure for lung fibrosis. Who knows how much time any of us has , but my question was what else could it be ( commonly not strange illments only found rarely ) I think I understand that you can live from as little as a year to many years with lung fibrosis.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There are two new medications approved for lung fibrosis

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I fully understand your concern

Usually in chest X Ray if it is another thing except lung fibrosis ( for example lung cancer) it is seen BUT CT is the best choice to explore it.

For lung fibrosis ( depending what type it is) there are already two new medications approved recently for its treatment.

Pirfenidon and Nintedanib
Actually there are a lot of studies for these new medications
After having the results the pulmonologist will decide about which of them is best for your condition

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng