What does the following chest X-ray result indicate?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Digital x ray chest pa view. 72 years old male..Slight haziness seen in lt. Basal region. The cp angles are clear. Cardiac size is with in normal limit. Rt. Hemi diaphragmatic hump seen. Calcification of aortic knuckle seen. Bony thorax is normal. What does this report indicate?
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Male/72 - cough of more than 2 weeks - taking Cetirizine, cough syrup, Azithromycin course 10 days back - Digital X-ray shows slight haziness basal region - right hemidiaphragmatic hump - calcification of aortic knuckle ...
This report indicates;
calcification- age related
Slight haziness in basal region with 2 weeks history of coughing can be pneumonia that is resolving and malignancy or other reasons should be ruled out by the following:
Tests of the phlegm: Gram staining, for malignant cells, culture and sensitivity.
High resolution contrast enhanced CT scan of the chest.
Bronchoscopy may be required if required.

Right hemidiaphragmatic hump is usually due to enlarged liver or mass within and will be seen in CT scan of the chest as liver can be fully covered in the same investigation.

I hope this answers your query and helps you for additional diagnosis for getting the correct plan of management.

You may please post the scanned copy of X-ray if you have it, it help.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
With Regards.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 6 minutes later
Is the cause of this cough due to some allergy or any other reason. How serious is the condition as of now
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As discussed in details below.

Detailed Answer:
Symptoms of cough for more than a week in spite of medication with positive findings on X-ray should be investigated further either to confirm or to ''rule-out'' any serious problem. CT scan and additional investigations alone can alone decipher more and the medical field depends upon the fact and getting the correct diagnosis at the earliest give the best chances of curative treatment.
Considering the age of 72, I would advise you to go for further investigations asap.
Allergic cough will have normal X-ray chest.
Follow up: Dr. T Chandrakant 5 minutes later
Thanks Dr Chandrakant for answering my queries.Regards
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome, Sir.

My pleasure.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee