What does the following brain MRI report mean?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello Dr. ,Please let me know what does following MRI brain report means

MR Imaging of the brain was performed in axial,coronal and sagittal planes using high resolution dedicated head coil T1,T2,T3,Fast Flair weighted sequences.

The study reveals evidence of bilateral parietal occipital encephalomalacia with gliosis with exvacuo-changes.

Additional evidence of ventricular and CSF prominance is noted bilaterally.No middle shift.

No other definite focal brain lesion.Myelination pattern of the brain is normal.Gray white matter differentiation is well maintained.

Brainstem ,bilateral basal ganglia and thalami are normal in signal characteristics.

Basal cisterns,fissures and sulcal spaces are unremarkable.The pituitary gland is normal in size,shape,outline and signal characteristics. The seller ,supraseller and retroseller CSF spaces are unremarkable.

Cerebellar hemispheres are normal in signal characteristics.The C.P. angles are normal.
7th ,8th nerve complexes are unremarkable . The vascular structures revel normal flow voids.

OPINION:- MR features are suggestive of prominence of the ventricular system and CSF spaces with bilateral parietal encephalomalacic changes likely due to hypoxic ischaemic sequalae.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Obstruction of blood flow to brain or in breathing

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Based on the provided information, the main finding is of encephalomalacic change (which means softening of a part of the brain and a few other changes relating to the same. This occurrence is usually observed when there is insufficient blood supply to a particular region of the brain. In adults it is most commonly seen due to some blockage or obstruction in blood flow to a particular part of the brain in conditions like a stroke. Other causes also include parasites in the brain obstructing blood flow, abscess, tumors, bleeding, aneurysms, etc.

It is obvious that from this report there has been some abnormality of blood supply or possibly even a duration of breathlessness (some breathing trouble due to which the child has not taken a breath for sometime, resulting in the above picture). But why this has taken place is difficult to say sir, as only either you as the parent would know if there has been some problem with your son as you would have been around him when this happened or your child's doctor will have to rule out the possibility of any of the above listed causes or any other causes to have caused this. So please visit your doctor and go about a more elaborate evaluation of your son sir.

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you. Please do not hesitate to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 days later
Thanks Dr.

I have already consulted with child neurologist for this and he suggested Occupational therapy for this .

My child is currently can not sit (completed 1 Y) and rest things seems ok.

I request to provide information for Occupational therapy centers in XXXXXXX & NCR.

Thanks.
Brief Answer:
Address of ICD provided sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again sir.

From what I know about Occupational Therapy, the best center is:
The Institute of Child Development,
C-124, LGF, Shivalik, Malviya XXXXXXX
New Delhi-110017

This is one of the best centers for Occupational Therapy. Please visit this center and request for an Occupational Therapist.

I hope this information helps you and your son sir. He is in prayers and I wish him nothing but the best, may God bless him abundantly and give him a bright and beautiful life ahead.

Best wishes sir.