• question-icon

What does the following brain MRI report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: My husband hand is turning inward and his foot is turning downward. He has a MRI of the brain and it shows no tumors or stroke. He has no history of MS in his family. He has been asked to see a Neurologist. I'm wondering if there is something else that could be checked before we go this route.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI and blood test seem the necessary starting point, neurologist necessary

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

Judging from your description I believe a neurological evaluation is really necessary. It doesn't seem to be an issue related to his joint, a neurological diagnosis is most likely. Some hypothesis could be issues such as dystonia, or peripheral nervous system conditions like peripheral neuropathy, motor neuron disease etc. Tough to be more specific as the diagnosis of such conditions is heavily relied on physical neurological exam (checking for altered reflexes, muscle strength, muscle atrophy, rigidity, tremor etc).
So your primary physician seems to have done what he can in ordering an MRI beforehand and I suppose he must have had also some blood tests to exclude metabolic alterations, if not should be done before the neurological consult.
The one remaining test one might consider before the visit would be nerve conduction studies and electromyography, but I would say that perhaps the neurological consult would be advisable first, so that if the neurologist considers it necessary he provides a clear indication which would aid the technician performing that exam as well.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist