What does the following bone density report indicate?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello
I'm not sure if this is a question for a spinal or orthopaedic surgeon or for specialist in stem cell for degenerative spine including tissue damage. I'm looking into possibility of stem cell surgery and have just have an MRi for brain and full spine-Photos of reports attached as well as bone density test.

Prior 2009 conservative neurosurgeon advised further discoplasty within 3 months for C3-4 and C6-7 but this ignores all other spinal issues. Been recommended I get fat extracted stem cells injected into disc to see result and then systematic regeneration by IV. Wondering about risks and application to my situation where best to get this done.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stem cells may be used if other treatments failed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

I have examined all the reports you uploaded too.

There is clear evidence of multiple levels discs and spine degenerative disease in your case.

Mesenchymal stem cells therapy about degenerative spine and discs disease is found to prevent further degeneration of discs and can also increase the ability of survival of cells that compose inter-vertebral discs.

However, certain conditions should be met such appropriate nutrition supplementation environment etc.

Stem cells treatment as a possible treatment way about degenerative discs disease should be considered after other treatment possibilities are exhausted.

Current treatments for disc degeneration includes conservative, nonsurgical management with analgesics, rehabilitation programs, and lifestyle adjustments such as weight loss. Surgical intervention involves spinal fusion and disc arthroplasty.

There are no side effects or risks of stem cells therapy until now, according to different studies.

Please discuss with your Doctor about these issues.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 7 hours later
The diet, postural and other lifestyle changes are already in place since initial plasma laser discoplasty about 8 yrs ago in C4-5, 3-4, 5-6. Despite this degeneration has continued at a rate that is unacceptable so these changes, exercise and other maintenance are not sufficient. If not dealt with now then degeneration continues and much more surgery, come of quite serious will be required within this year ad the next few years.
As lay person I understand everything's connected through spine and particularly from that compressed C5-6 nerve on both sides which causes spine to hunch, rotate and angle (scoliosis) so also now placing strain on hips/femur joints. The spread of the disc bulges including intraosseous.
If left alone the degeneration will continue at an alarming rate and to a stage that is unacceptable to me.
Why do you say that stem cell therapy should be a last resort please? Do you practice it?
Regards XXXXXXX

By the way I only weigh 57kg and am 5ft 6inches tall so weight not affecting it.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stem cells therapy needs time to see its efficacy.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

It is my opinion, based also in scientific evidence that spine degerative disease should be treated with well proven treatment modalities such conservative treatment, physical therapy, spinal injections and surgery ( decompressesive and stabilizing techniques ).

Stem cells therapy needs still time and large comparative studies in order to understand better its efficacy.

It is also a matter of choices and possibilities, besides patient's condition, that predicts the best treatment modality way.

I don't practice stem cells therapy.

It is also my opinion that stem cells therapy may work in your case.

However, all these issues should be discussed with your treating Doctor.

Hope I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 8 hours later
Hello
Please expand on what yo man by spinal injections such as decompression and stabilising techniques so I understand more clearly.
Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
.....

Detailed Answer:
Okay, but this follow up question is preventing me from answering on other questions.

Awaiting for the repair of the issue.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T