What does the following body scan result indicate?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi, what do they do when you have had a Thyroidectomy and central lymph node taken out. Then had I-131 70mCi dose. After 10 days body scan shows conspicuous uptake in the thyroid bed, with some mild septal penetration artifact. outside the thyroid bed, tracer distribution is physiologic, involving pharyngea soft tissue, salivary glands, liver, gut, and urinary tract. There s no evidence of nodal or hematogenous metastasis. My qustion is what does this mean and do they treat this?
I was one Levothyrioxne 175 mcg( T4). and Levothyoxine (not sure how you spell it.) the one that address T3 5 mcg.

And I am back on that same dose after the XXXXXXX 131 treatment.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About I-131 treatment:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
If the whole body scan shows thyroid tissue remained after the intervention, than usually we recommend to wait and see the effect of the radio iodine that is supposed to destroy remained tissue.
The thyroglobuline level is another important marker, that reflects the presence of the thyroid cells after thyroidectomy and radio iodine treatment.
If it persists high after 6 months, and the whole body scan will show still the presence of thyroid tissue, another dose of I-131 is recommended.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana