What does the following blood test result indicate?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I am trying to understand a lab blood count calculation. I had bloodwork done in the ER.
My Total WBC is 1.7 My segmented neutrophils are 21% and band neutrophils are 13%. Abs Seg Manual is .36
I saw an oncologist today (for the first time) who said that my neutrophil count was ~300.
I see calculations for the Absolute Neutrophil Count as (segmented + band)*WBC.
In my case this would be 21+13 = 34%*1700 = 578
Why did he say it was ~300?
Is the Abs seg manual a more precise calculation?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. Yea, you are right

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through your query. So you are absolutely right. Your doctor just forgot to take. Into. Account segmented ones. However, they are still low in number. A bone marrow study is advisable.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 17 minutes later
Thank you very much!

A few quick follow ups:

1) is it likely that within 4 days from the test that yielded the results above that the level will have bounced back to 1500?

2) I have no other significantly abnormal bloodwork (sed rate slightly elevated at 38 and CRP at 2.3) but have constitutional symptoms of exhaustion, weight loss and fever (now gone on 300 clindomycin 4x/day) are there any general statistics as to whether this is a marrow disorder or just from a passing virus? I am 47, never smoked, 5'9 160 pounds, don't drink, regularly exercise. I understand that you cannot diagnose me, just looking for some general statistics.

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. It may bounce

Detailed Answer:
Hello again. So it will depend all upon your illness. If its just a viral illness, it may bounce sooner as the virus clears off the body. Of if some marrow issue, then it wont without a definite treatment.
Thanks and regards