What does the following blood test result indicate?
My Total WBC is 1.7 My segmented neutrophils are 21% and band neutrophils are 13%. Abs Seg Manual is .36
I saw an oncologist today (for the first time) who said that my neutrophil count was ~300.
I see calculations for the Absolute Neutrophil Count as (segmented + band)*WBC.
In my case this would be 21+13 = 34%*1700 = 578
Why did he say it was ~300?
Is the Abs seg manual a more precise calculation?
Hello. Yea, you are right
Hello dear. I have gone through your query. So you are absolutely right. Your doctor just forgot to take. Into. Account segmented ones. However, they are still low in number. A bone marrow study is advisable.
Thanks and regards
A few quick follow ups:
1) is it likely that within 4 days from the test that yielded the results above that the level will have bounced back to 1500?
2) I have no other significantly abnormal bloodwork (sed rate slightly elevated at 38 and CRP at 2.3) but have constitutional symptoms of exhaustion, weight loss and fever (now gone on 300 clindomycin 4x/day) are there any general statistics as to whether this is a marrow disorder or just from a passing virus? I am 47, never smoked, 5'9 160 pounds, don't drink, regularly exercise. I understand that you cannot diagnose me, just looking for some general statistics.
Hello. It may bounce
Hello again. So it will depend all upon your illness. If its just a viral illness, it may bounce sooner as the virus clears off the body. Of if some marrow issue, then it wont without a definite treatment.
Thanks and regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Blood test done what does the report indicate
- What does my blood test for bilirubin indicate
- What is triglycerides in blood test results
- What is tsh in blood test results
- What is gran in blood test results
- What is lymph on blood test results
- What does my blood test result indicate
- What does these blood tests indicate
- Do my blood test results indicated cll
- What is occ on blood test results
- What causes inflammation in the lungs while treating pneumonia?
- Can nodules in the lungs be cancerous?
- What are the long term side effects of Cytoxan and Taxotere?
- What does this biopsy report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for cough, headache and nausea
- Suggest treatment for a large tumor in the abdomen
- What is the prognosis for metastatic ampullary carcinoma?
- Suggest treatment for iron deficiency anemia
- What does my lab test report indicate?
- Is missing a dosage of medicine during anti tubular lymphadenitis...