Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
130 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

What does the following blood test result indicate?

Answered by
Dr. Sandip Kabra

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2009

Answered : 3078 Questions

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi
I am a 49 year old vegetarian male from XXXXXXX
My recent blood test shows Serum B12 level as 148.5pg/ml.The GP prescribed Neurobion Forte once daily. This has 15 mcg Vitamin B12 cyanocobolamin. However after going through various posts here and elsewhere I felt the dosage very low. Ii it a good idea to take 2B12 capsule which has 750 mcg Methylcobalamin JP and 750mcg Adenosylcobalamin?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
15 mcg dose is very low,you will need to increase it.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,

I have read your query,

148.5 vitamin B12 is very low and it needs to be corrected with supplements.

15 mcg vitamin B12 (Neurobion Forte) dose is very low,you will need to increase the dose for correction.

There are two ways.

You can take vitamin B12 injection 1500 mcg once in a week for initial 4 weeks (total 4 injections) and followed by vitamin B12 (750 mcg) tablets once daily. By this way your vitamin B12 level will be normal within 8 to 10 weeks.

You can also take 750 mcg Methylcobalamin JP once daily for initial 4 to 6 weeks and you can re-check your vitamin B2 level. However,by this way,it will take much more time for vitamin B12 level comes to normal,may more than 4 to 5 months.

You can choose either of this.

One more thing,if your vitamin B12 value does not raise with these supplements for 4 to 6 weeks then it would be advisable to take B12 by parentral route (intra-muscular injection) which is much more effective than any other route.

You can ask your doctor about it. I mostly advise my patients to go for injection route with is more effective and there is quick correction i.e within weeks.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have more doubts.


Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  B12 injection

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor, I have a question , my dad has got giddiness while he was sleeping last night. we wnt to nearest clinic they prescribed vertin 16...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have coeliac disease and have been adhering to a gluten free diet for about a year now since I was diagnosed. I ve always had a problem with...

doctor1 MD

I have a low WBC. I have B12 anemia and iron deficiency anemia 10 years post gastric bypass. I also have scattered petechiae on my upper body,...

doctor1 MD

I have just received results of video endoscopy - 2 small bowel erosions probably bleeding causing my anaemia 9.2. Also angiectasia. Info and usual...

doctor1 MD

getting pain in some parts of chest in random time any type of injections for D3 and B12 and dose for same as per reports

doctor1 MD

I Have a pack pain last two years. And i got treated by orthopedic in bengalore as well my native. recently i took blood test for calcium and...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I just did vitamin b12 injection . I think I may of hit or gone through a vien. What should I do? I'm really worried