What does the following blood test result indicate?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Tue, 30 Aug 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi
I am a 49 year old vegetarian male from XXXXXXX
My recent blood test shows Serum B12 level as 148.5pg/ml.The GP prescribed Neurobion Forte once daily. This has 15 mcg Vitamin B12 cyanocobolamin. However after going through various posts here and elsewhere I felt the dosage very low. Ii it a good idea to take 2B12 capsule which has 750 mcg Methylcobalamin JP and 750mcg Adenosylcobalamin?
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
15 mcg dose is very low,you will need to increase it.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM,

I have read your query,

148.5 vitamin B12 is very low and it needs to be corrected with supplements.

15 mcg vitamin B12 (Neurobion Forte) dose is very low,you will need to increase the dose for correction.

There are two ways.

You can take vitamin B12 injection 1500 mcg once in a week for initial 4 weeks (total 4 injections) and followed by vitamin B12 (750 mcg) tablets once daily. By this way your vitamin B12 level will be normal within 8 to 10 weeks.

You can also take 750 mcg Methylcobalamin JP once daily for initial 4 to 6 weeks and you can re-check your vitamin B2 level. However,by this way,it will take much more time for vitamin B12 level comes to normal,may more than 4 to 5 months.

You can choose either of this.

One more thing,if your vitamin B12 value does not raise with these supplements for 4 to 6 weeks then it would be advisable to take B12 by parentral route (intra-muscular injection) which is much more effective than any other route.

You can ask your doctor about it. I mostly advise my patients to go for injection route with is more effective and there is quick correction i.e within weeks.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have more doubts.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad