• question-icon

What does the following blood test report indicate?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: Hi,

Please find my blood test report .My bilirubin and hdl have alerts.

Can you please advise?.
Is this reading ok?
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry, however routine and timely follow-up to continue..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Welcome back to HealthcareMagic,
I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

Yes, I've reviewed the attached reports, and grossly speaking, there isn't much to worry at all...

HDL is a part of good cholesterol in the body, your HDL is just borderline low, this can be controlled with dietary and lifestyle modifications...

Avoid junk foods in any forms... no excessive deep fried/ fast foods strictly...

Include fresh green leafy vegetables in your daily diet.. have a bowl of salad every day...avoid processed and packaged foods, always try to eat fresh, organic foods, have fresh fruits instead of packaged fruit juices...try to include foods which helps to increase the HDL level in the body, like olive oil, beans, and legumes, whole grains, plenty of nuts etc...

- Try to snack healthy instead of junk foods, have a handful of high zinc & antioxidant containing foods eg. cashew, almonds, raisins, pistachio, dry roasted/boiled chickpeas, yogurt daily..

Coming to the Bilirubin level, 1.6 of total bilirubin, with a Direct Bilirubin of 0.3 is once again just normal parameter and that fractional derangement of Indirect Bilirubin level may not be clinically significant at all (provided you don't have any significant past medical history, which you've already mentioned as "nil", so I wouldn't worry about it at this point)... these ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories, in some labs, they use different measurements or may test different samples, so results may vary slightly...

However, drink plenty of water throughout the day(at least 2.5 ltr) to remain well hydrated and it'll help to flush out the metabolites too...

Start daily work-outs for 30-45min(if not doing already)...avoid smoking and alcohol(if at all do)...

After 3 months of following these instructions, it'll be helpful to repeat the LFT, along with Uric acid, FBS, PPBS along with Ultrasound whole abdomen to look into it further...

Don't worry...

I've tried to make it as simple as possible for you to understand, let me know if there's any doubt..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist