• question-icon

What does the following blood test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Total bilirubin-3, indirect-2.7, direct -0.3
Eosinophils -9.40, RBC Count-5.67

Plz suggest what could be the reason.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
More details needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. However, I need to know the reason for which you needed to get the blood test done. I mean to ask about the specific symptoms that made you seek medical assistance. Also mention if you are an alcoholic and whether you are having itchiness over your body.

Infective hepatitis or alcoholic liver disease could cause a rise in the bilirubin level. On the other hand the eosinophilia could be due to some allergic cause including worm infestation. I can comment further after you provide relevant details.

I would wait for your response. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 30 minutes later
We visited doc for hair related treatment so he mentioned to do hormone test, we thought of doing other general tests so did Lft, cbc, thyroid and could see these results..i have been taking multivitamin tablets and also antibiotics for some time for more than 2 months for hair loss treatment..can it be possible because of that ? Also i am not taking alcohol and there is no itching sensation..plz suggest
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait and watch.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your clarification. I have checked the attached reports. It is not a good idea to take antibiotics indefinitely like that and I am unable to understand what good it could do. However, it is definitely an added load on the liver and that could have caused the change. I would insist you to wait and watch. Repeat the tests after 3-4 weeks if things remain fine in the meantime. If it comes down you have no reason to worry.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 8 hours later
Thanks doc.. Meantime we have consulted a doc and he has asked to take sorbiline syrup which wil bring the indirect bilirubin down . What does high indirect bilirubin tell? Also plz suggest if anything is to worry about ? Doc has suggested some tests as well. Plz find attached rx from doc
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. You can take sorbiline but taking a carbohydrate rich diet will do just the same. Indirect bilirubin correlates with unconjugated bilirubin levels. Bilirubin gets conjugated in an attempt toward excretion. Increase in conjugated levels indicate obstructive cause. Increase in unconjugated or indirect section suggests problem prior to that i.e. in the liver.

You can go for the tests suggested.

Somehow I find the degrees of this doctor fishy. CCH or certificate in child health is a credential for ayurvedic or homeopathic doctors (BAMS or BHMS). The mentioned the MRSH is just a paid membership that is supposed to have become MRSPH after the merger of the organisations. The medical registry check for the registration number reveals a different doctor http://www.mciindia.org/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=196292
Cannot check the same for Madhya Pradesh Medical Council at http://www.mciindia.org/InformationDesk/IndianMedicalRegister.aspx as the full name has not been given. Besides why would a doctor need to become authorized medical attendant? You might like to seek to verify his qualification and inform the CID/police if you find something out of place.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 27 hours later
.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I have checked and found the doctor to be genuine

Detailed Answer:
Sorry that I expressed skepticism about the doctor whom you had consulted. I have checked again and found the doctor to be genuine. The below link helps you verify the medical registration of the concerned doctor.

This is the link: http://www.mciindia.org/ViewDetails.aspx?ID=423180

Dr. Prof. Saha

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha