What does the following blood test report indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I recently had a full blood chemistry done for insurance purposes. I am a 53 year old female. 5' 6" 133 pounds. The lab that did the test pointed out a few abnormal results. My white blood cell (microscopic exam) is 10.00/HPF. My cholesterol is 291 mg. HDL is 75.4 mg and LDL is 190 mg. Triglycerides are 128 mg and cholesterol ratio is 3.85. How far off is the white blood cell count to be normal and is mine an issue? Also do you suggest cholesterol lowering drugs. I eat very healthy ie. no fried foods, limited sugar, lots of chicken, very little beef. Thank you for your time. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your white blood cell count, I would explain that this values are borderline, but within the normal ranges. They may be related to anxiety or to inflammation.

I recommend repeating complete blood count after two weeks. If white blood cell count keeps raising, it may be indicative of an infection.

Regarding your blood lipid profile, I would explain that total cholesterol is not a true indicator of your cardio-vascular risk. As Total cholesterol/HDL ratio is lower than 4, this indicates that you do not suffer from dyslipidemia and you are not at any increased cardiovascular risk related to your blood lipid profile.

So, there is nothing to worry about! You don't need any medical treatment.

Performing aerobics, will help lower your LDL levels.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri