What does the following blood test report indicate?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Routine blood test has shown GFR 72ml/min, HDL 3.4 mmol/L, ALT 51u/L.
This is the first time I have ever had this kind of result. I am a 54 year old female and apart from taking thyroxine for an underactive thyroid I take no other medication. I have recently had significant discomfort/pain near my spleen area, left upper abdomen. It feels like something is pushing towards my left rib cage. Is the pain and test results related and how concerned should I be about the blood test results?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
none seems to be related

Detailed Answer:

left abdominal pain is usually caused by the intestine. Less commonly the left kidney may cause it. Other causes are uncommon and can usually be excluded during a clinical encounter with your doctor.

Let me comment on your results now, starting from the easiest one. Your HDL is very high, which is great! HDL is protective against vascular disease. The highest, the better!
Your GFR is OK (neither great nor bad) for your age and gender. Please note that its value depends a lot on the way it has been calculated. The estimated GFR for example (usually called eGFR) may vary depending on the patient's hydration status.
Finally a slightly increased ALT may suggest liver damage. Radiological assessment with an ultrasound scan of the liver is required to determine its cause (or exclude some potential causes). Fatty liver is the most common one. Being obese, drinking alcohol or having diabetes are risk factors for fatty liver disease.

More investigation is needed to exclude other causes like hepatitis (infectious or autoimmune), drug use, etc

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Should I request an ultradound scan? How damaged will my liver be with a level of 51 and is it possible for me to reduce this or is my liver permanently damaged?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
an ultrasound scan should be done

Detailed Answer:
Both an ultrasound scan and repeat measurements should be done. 51 is an almost negligible value but it requires investigation. The damage has to do with the cause, so I can't answer without knowing it.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 16 hours later
Thank you for your response. I think the damage will be because of long term alcohol use. My Doctor told me to stop drinking alcohol and then be tested again after 6 weeks. I am so worried that I have permanent liver damage. Is there any chance that I could reverse the damage?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
the chances are that the damage is not permanent

Detailed Answer:
You're welcome!

Alcohol is a very well known toxin for the liver. Long term use may lead to cirrhosis which is irreversible! Before cirrhosis though, various enzyme disorders may alarm the patient and the doctor. When alcohol consumption is ceased, the damage won't go any further and some damage may be reversed. I still believe that it's fatty liver because alcohol abuse almost always leads to a high gamma-GT, which you haven't mentioned, so I gather it was normal. Alcohol itself may cause fatty liver though and being overweight does so too, so the ultrasound scan would be most helpful probably.

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 14 minutes later
Thank you.
I did not get a result for gamma-GT. The results were as follows:
bilirubin 7 umol/L
ALT 51 u/L
Total alkaline phosphatase 113 u/L
albumin 46 g/L

Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the results do not suggest cirrhosis

Detailed Answer:
Your results are OK and do not suggest either cirrhosis or chronic liver disease. They can't exclude it either but it seems far less possible.

Kind regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 13 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt reply. You said that left abdomen pain is usually caused by the intestine. I know that my liver is an odd shape and sort of loops round my spleen. ( I had a sub-capsular haematoma on my spleen several years ago and the scans showed this) Is is possible that a swollen liver is causing the pain. So sorry to go on about this but I am very worried.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no

Detailed Answer:
Unless your organs are reversed and you have the liver on the left, This is a no. This is an extremely rare condition, I've never seen a single patient in my life, I've only read about it.

A rapidly rising hematoma or thrombosis in the spleen may cause pain but injury or other conditions are required. You shouldn't worry about it.

Kind regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 9 minutes later
Thank you so much. You have put my mind at rest. I will just make sure that I eat well, exercise and don't drink!!

Thanks again.
Goodbye
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you're welcome!

Detailed Answer:
Glad to help!

Best wishes!