What does the following blood test report indicate?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my daughter recently had a blood test, the results are normal except few numbers:
RBC 3.75 L (3.81 - 5.15)
MCV 102.7 H (72.7-97.7)
MCH 34.7 H (23.5 - 32.8)

COuld you please expain what cause this result, any problems here, should we request for more tests ?? please advise. Thanks !
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
mild megaloblastic anemia

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
The labs are indicative of megaloblastic anemia of mild severity and most likely cause is folate or vitamin b 12 deficiency. To sort that out you need to consult an internal medicine specialist.he will run some work up to differentiate the two.usually tje folates doet not present with pins and needles sensations.and b12 does and mostly affect vegans as b12 sources arw mostly animal. Management is pretty simple.folates and vitamin b 12 supplements and TADA.
Don't worry your daughter is not alone in this. If she has some blood losing issues like menstrual abnormalities as excessive bleeding menorrhagia etc they need to be addressed also gastritis or stomach discomforts as they lead to reduces vitamin b 12 absorption.
Seek an internal medicine specialist and let them take care of your daughter.
Take good care of yourself and your daughter and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX