Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What does the following blood test report indicate?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 3614 Questions
my daughter recently had a blood test, the results are normal except few numbers:
RBC 3.75 L (3.81 - 5.15)
MCV 102.7 H (72.7-97.7)
MCH 34.7 H (23.5 - 32.8)

COuld you please expain what cause this result, any problems here, should we request for more tests ?? please advise. Thanks !
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
mild megaloblastic anemia

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
The labs are indicative of megaloblastic anemia of mild severity and most likely cause is folate or vitamin b 12 deficiency. To sort that out you need to consult an internal medicine specialist.he will run some work up to differentiate the two.usually tje folates doet not present with pins and needles sensations.and b12 does and mostly affect vegans as b12 sources arw mostly animal. Management is pretty simple.folates and vitamin b 12 supplements and TADA.
Don't worry your daughter is not alone in this. If she has some blood losing issues like menstrual abnormalities as excessive bleeding menorrhagia etc they need to be addressed also gastritis or stomach discomforts as they lead to reduces vitamin b 12 absorption.
Seek an internal medicine specialist and let them take care of your daughter.
Take good care of yourself and your daughter and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor