What does the following anomaly scan report indicate?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 10 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi,
I have just had my 20 week anomaly scan in which they told me the position of the placenta is upper anterior.
I have had 3 C-sections and wonder whether 'upper anterior' is a good thing, in light of the C-sections.
Can you please advise me where they cut the womb in a C-section and what is the best position for the placenta.

Many thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Womb is cut in lower segment.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Upper anterior is a normal position of placenta. in C-section uterus is incised in the lower segment. A low lying anterior placenta can cause a problem in C-section. Placenta anywhere in the upper segment is safe and normal.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Dear Dr Tayal,

Thank you for your informative reply.
Does the position of the placenta change after 20 weeks?
I had a few scan so far, and originally the placenta was fundal. Now at 20 weeks it moved to upper anterior.
I am worried it could carry on moving and become lower.
Please let me know what you think.
Also, do they always do the c-section in the lower part, even if I've had a few c-sections. How can they keep cutting the same place? Is this not dangerous for future uterine rupture?
This will be my fourth c-section!

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
After 20 weeks the main position of placenta does not change. it grows slightly and occupies the adjacent area. The position does not change from upper segment to lower segment.
in c-section incision is always made on the lower segment and it is made just adjacent to the previous scar. That is why after 2 C-sections always a c-section is chosen as mode of delivery. Normal delivery is not tried in such cases.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 39 hours later
Hi

I did not get a reply to the following questions:
At my 20 week antenatal appointment I was told I have a hernia in my stomach around my belly button.
What is this and how can it affect my pregnancy?

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hernia can increase.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Hernia refers to bulging of intestines through weak abdominal wall. During pregnancy there is extra pressure on the abdominal wall and it can become further weakened and hernia may increase in size with progressing pregnancy.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 52 minutes later
Thanks but what are the implications of such a hernia on my pregnancy?
I am worried it could cause problems.
Is there anything I can do?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will not affect pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hernia will not disturb pregnancy. it can be repiared at the time of C-section. No need to worry. You can avoid putting undue stress on the abdomen like coughing constipation doing heavy work etc.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.
Finally, can I just check, today at work I got hit in the tummy by a child (I work in a nursery).
It was quite forceful but not terrible.
Could this have caused a problem because I have an upper anterior placenta.
I am terrified of having a placenta abruptia.

I have no symptoms and feel fine.
Should I do anything?

Please let me know.
XXXX
Brief Answer:
Not likely to cause harm.

Detailed Answer:
An external hit on the tummy is not likely to cause any harm to baby or placenta. if you can feel the baby movements there is no bleeding or pain in abdomen then there is no need to worry. You can relax.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks very much for your informative reply.

Can I ask please how many c/sections are considered safe.
This will be my fourth so I worry about uterine rupture if the womb has been cut so much.

Many thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upto 3 are safe.

Detailed Answer:
Usually three C-sections are considered safe. Since this is your fourth one it puts you at a higher risk. Uterine rupture is associated with severe uterine cramps or pains. in your case elective c-section is best.
Regards.