• question-icon

What does the following X-ray report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 14 Aug 2017 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: I needed help with interpreting my x rays. wanted to know if there were any abnormalities.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No serious concerns on xray

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have visualised your xrays in detail and shows mild straightening of the cervical spine. There is no serious concern and straightening of the spine can happen due to neck muscle spasm. The rest of the spine is normal for your age.

Nerve pinching is not always visualised on xrays. Therefore if your symptoms continue to trouble you then a MRI of cervical spine might help to visualise the nerves of the neck area in detail.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 8 minutes later
Thank you for your reply. Would a chiropractor be a good choice to help with this issue? And in your opinion, is it medically necessary to get an MRI asap based on my symptoms and what was found on the x rays?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Xray finding is not serious, clinical examination might suggest early MRI

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

There are conditions when problems involving the cervical cord and nerves can cause tingling and pain. The xrays only show the bones and the spinal cord and nerves are not evaluated.

A chiropractor might help in supportive management of your condition.

MRI scan is a detailed test and is indicated if there are symptoms which persist and show no signs of recovery. It will help to get clinically examined by a neurologist to know if you have any specific nerve related symptoms on clinical evaluation.

In my opinion, the xray findings do not call for an urgent MRI scan. However any symptoms of tingling and muscle weakness of acute onset require MRI scan at the earliest.

Therefore when considering a MRI scan in your particular case, I will stress more on clinical findings and then suggest an early scan if there are significant neurological abnormalities.

Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for sending your query and wishing you good health

Detailed Answer:
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 0 minute later
Thank you very much for your help.
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist