What does the following Vitamin B-12 level indicate?

Posted on Mon, 20 Feb 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hey what does Vitamin B-12 means and what the
range value of it cause my results came back as a 475 pg/ ml is dat good or bad
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's a vitamin particularly useful for the blood and nervous system

Detailed Answer:

vitamin B12 is one of the vitamins. Vitamins are substances that participate in certain chemical reactions inside the body. They are necessary for normal function. B12 helps mostly in red blood cell production and the functions of the nervous system. Lack of vitamin B12 may present with macrocytic anemia and if protracted with sensory (or other) deficits. 475 is OK and excludes B12 deficiency. 250-1000 pg/mL is the range of values but some labs may give slightly different numbers. Anything that is higher than 300 almost excludes deficiency. Lower numbers may indicate true deficiency (very low numbers, 100 or so) or 'hidden' deficiency (more testing will be required to clarify the issue with values like 250 pg/mL).

So in conclusion your result is good and excludes deficiency...

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 11 minutes later
what bout vitamin d12 range was a 16 it that good or bad
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
what do you mean?

Detailed Answer:
475pg/mL is good. What's the 16? Please upload the test report for a better understanding of your situation.
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
Vitamin D test results 16/Ng means good or bad
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it's vitamin D deficiency probably

Detailed Answer:

if it's in ng/mL which is the most common unit of measurement for 25(OH) vitamin D then it's low. 20-30ng/mL is called vitamin D insufficiency and <20ng/mL is called vitamin D deficiency.

Supplementation would be required for it and adequate sun exposure. You should consult your doctor for the most appropriate regimen for your case.

If the units are different from the ones I used (ng/mL) please let me know so I can do the conversion.

Kind regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis