What does the following PET scan report indicate?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Cancer
Question: I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the distal portion of pancreas 11/24/2015.. On 1/19/2016, had splenectomy, 1/3 removal of pancreas, removal of splenic artery, and 28 lymph nodes. One lymph node showed cancer. Began Gemzar 3/15/2016, and finished 18th treatment 8/15/2016. Just had PET/CT a week ago with nothing adverse showing other than an 8.3cm seroma which appeared 4/29/2016. I'm told it has shrunk to 6cm. I was told I can have no more chemo, and that I can expect to be watched very closely (every 3 mos) with either a CT or MRI. Isn't it a guarantee that the cancer will return if I am not receiving any treatment? What, if anything, can I do to prevent a recurrence? My weight has maintained from post surgery weight. I watch my diet closely which includes avoiding sugar.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment has been completed

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns. The standard adjuvant chemotherapy has been completed. CT scan is also fine. Seroma is not cancer. There is no data for chemotherapy beyond the standard six months. So it is not advisable to continue it any further.

We need to follow you up closely. You are doing the right thing by watching your weight. Other than that, no treatment is recommended for now. There is nothing like the disease will recur in everybody. You may do well in future also.

Hope this helps.