What does the following MRI result suggest?

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
mri results
1. mild to moderate degenerative disc disease at c5-c6 results in posterior Osteophytes that narrow the canal. however, bilateral foraminal narrowing is also present it could affect the c6 nerve roots bilaterally.
2.straightening of the normal lordosis, probably related to lower cervical spndylosis.
3.no disc herniation

these where my mri results back in may2013 since then i have had 3 epidural injections and 1 faucet injection.. none of witch seemed to help pain. pain specialist also has tried different muscle relaxers and anti inflamitory drugs that never seemed to help with the pain.. i have pain and numbness down my arms as well and most recently have had pain in my legs as well.. i have appt with pain specialist again this week and feel i should have another mri due to the increase of pain . he has me on 1/2 a vicodin in the morning since i work at post office and need some relief to box mail in mornings and then 1 pill 10-325 in afternoon ... im constanty in pain and this only takes alittle bit of edge off any suggestions.
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You might need surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam,
As you know that you are having disc herniation which is causing nerve compression and you have tried conservative treatment in the form of steroid injections but still you are having pain. I have following suggestions for such patient.
1. Repeat MRI to see if there is increase in disc herniation.
2. I would suggest to take Medrol ( oral steroids) for a week. This will decrease neural pressure.
3. Take Pregabalin and Methylcobal after discussing with your doctor.
4. Cervical traction exercises.
5.If newer MRI shows increase disc herniation and above mentioned medicines are not working then you think in favour of cervical dissectomy. In this procedure nerve compression is removed by excision of the disc.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any other questions.
Thanks.