• question-icon

What does the following MRI report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Need to consult neurosurgeon
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide the MRI images or report.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.

Please provide the MRI images or report in order to understand your son's condition better.

Awaiting.....

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 9 minutes later
We are waiting to upload the images
Meanwhile I uploaded the radiologist report on MRI and also copying pasting the drop box of MRI images
Pl try to open

https://www.dropbox.com/s/icni82kskc2foxr/Archive.zip?dl=0

Hope you are able to open the dropbox.com folder. You can download the zip file, unzip it and go to VIEWER folder and click on the *.exe file to run the program that allows you to view the films. This is the format we received from the diagnostics lab.

Current situation and complaints, 5-6 weeks after initial injury:
1) Mild tenderness across both sides of lower back after waking up from night sleep
2) mild difficulty due to pain/tenderness bending down from standing up early mornings
3) tiredness after walking 15min, due to precautionary posture, and right of spine pain at one point in lower back above right glute (roughly the area covered by a belt holding up pants)
4) family history of multiple family members suffered from same complaint, and except one, no one had any surgeries
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need for surgery right now.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

I have examined the MRI images you uploaded and the Radiologist's report.

In conclusion (clinically and by imaging) in my opinion, there is no need to rush into surgery, because of the mild significant symptoms and small herniations at L5-S1 and L4-L5 levels.

I think conservative treatment will succeed to improve symptoms in your son's case.

Surgery in similar cases is reserved in cases of failure after a couple of months of the conservative treatment, or in new onset neurological signs.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Kind regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 45 hours later
Thank you for your reply
Can u pl answer some questions ?
1. What is the fate of herniated disc? Apart from fibrosis and sclerosis

2. Can a patient live a normal life with out say 2 discs ex : bone to bone ?
Will there be pain ?
can he be asyptomatic ?

3. What is the indication for spinal fusion ?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
The herniation may shrink, but may progress also.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

The herniated disc may shrink with time and conservative treatment leaving the neural structures free, so, the patient may conduct a normal asymptotic life.

The herniation may also progress and in such case may be worsening of symptoms, in such cases, surgery is considered.

Spinal fusion is indicated in multilevel degerative spine disease, instability of the spine, significant spinal cord stenosis.

Hope this helps.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical