• question-icon

What does the following ECG test result indicate?

Posted on Wed, 2 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I had an ECG done because I have been having symptoms of heart palpitations. Most of them are just a second long and feel like a stop or a thud in my chest which catches my breath and gives me the urge to cough. They last for one second at most. Once in a great while, usually when I'm anxious or nervous I get what I consider a "bigger" palpitation that lasts for 5 sec that starts with the thud or pause and then heart flutters for a couple seconds. Feels like it's flip flopping a bit and then goes back to normal. That catches my breath and gives me the urge to cough as well. This has been happening for at least a few years. I am now however pregnant which made me more concerned so I had the ECG done as well at a 24 hour holter. The ECG results came back and it stated :
Normal sinus rhythm
Possible Left atrial enlargement
Incomplete Right bundle branch block
Nonspecific ST abnormality
Abnormal ECG
It has me absolutely worried! Especially being pregnant. I'm only 25 years old. Would these things cause the symptoms I'm having? The flutter feeling does feel more on the right side when I get it. I looked up RBBB and one cause could be a pulmonary embolism which of course has me even more upset and worried. Pregnancy and that do not mix well at all. The doctor hasn't called me yet. I was only just sent the report. I'm hoping they will do an Echo or something now. Should I be as worried as I am with these finding? The holter results haven't come back yet so still waiting on that. They did blood work for thyroid which came back normal. Please help me understand what this means for me!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that these ECG findings could be related to an atrial septum congenital defect.

For this reason, it is very important to perform a transthoracic cardiac ultrasound which would help examine better your heart structure and function.

If suspicions of a congenital defect are raised, a cardiac trans-esophageal ultrasound would be necessary.

It is also important to know your Holter monitoring results. The episodes of chest flutter or palpitations that you refer could be related to a cardiac arrhythmia.

But cardiac arrhythmias like Supraventricular tachycardia can be really dangerous during pregnancy, because they cause a low blood flow to the fetus and thus risk the baby normal development and even his life.

For this reason, it is very important to investigate for cardiac arrhythmia. The Holter results will help investigate for such disorders.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above issues.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist