What does the following CT scan report says?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
Hi.
4 yrs back my friend had been successfully treated for TB. Now he has some old scars now. he has been told to go through following tests just check if there is any new scar(s) or not.

So his CT scan (Thorax) report says:

Area of volume loss, bronchiectasis, fibrocalcific densities seen involving the posterior segment of right upper lobe and superior segments of right lower lobe. Small subpleural fibrotic scars are seen in the posterior segment of right lower lobe with smaller nodular densities in the right lower lobe in the anterior segments.

what this mean? Please help me to understand.Addition to my previous description:

The CT Scan - Thorax was recommended by doctor to decide if my friend will have to go further for bronchoscopy or not.

So please tell, does he need to go through bronchoscopy ?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Findings are due to past T.B.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I have gone through your friend's reports in detail.Latest findings are due to sequel of past infection.
Infection naturally heals by fibrosis and calcification so there are fibrocalcified lesions in posterior segment of right upper lobe and superior segments of right lower lobe.

whenever there is increased infection or delay in treatment of tuberculosis then it causes destruction of lung parenchyma and it is shown as volume loss (means loss of lung parenchyma).

Tubercular infection also cause destruction and dilatation of of bronchioles(small airways) and it is shown as bronchiectasis.

Small subpleural fibrotic scars in the posterior segment of right lower lobe with smaller nodular densities in the right lower lobe in the anterior segments are also due to past tuberculosis.

So,findings are due to past tubercular infection.

I don't think your friend need bronchoscopy.However,it should be decided on clinical basis.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: What does the following CT scan report says? 24 minutes later
Thanks a lot Dr. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

You are most welcome.

Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX