What does the ejection fraction in the following ECHO test report indicate?

Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have dilated cardiomyopathy and am age 49 and 6ft 2 13 stone work full time walk cycle etc but recently had an echo MMode/2D can you confirm do I have moderate left ventricular function and mild dilated cardiomyopathy from readings given.......LVIDd. 6.1cm...LVIDs 4.6cm, RVDd 4.3cm, FS=24.5% and ESV Teich 99.5ml...finally it says E 9.9cm/sec and E;E 5.6. And S wave 8.0cm/sec what is my ejection fraction and is this moderate/mild please
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some data are missing

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

I went through the data you have provided and noticed that some data are missing. Please, write down all available data or attach the report. There is an option to attach the reports.

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 45 minutes later
RVDd 4.3cm. LVIDd. 6.1cm. FS 24.5%. AO root diam 3.1cm. IVSD 0.91cm. LVIDs. 4.6cm. ESV Teich 99.5ml. LA dimension 3.8cm. LA vol 2ch 58.9ml. LA col 4ch 51.2 ml. LA Vols 55.1ml. Tapse 1.6cm. MV E XXXXXXX vel 55.3cm MVA XXXXXXX vel 41.5cm. LV V1 XXXXXXX pg 1.3mmhg and LV V1 XXXXXXX 57.8cm. E:9.9cm/sec. E:E 5.6. S wave 8.0cm. Wat is my ejection fraction and my left ventricular systolic function in percentage and mild, moderate etc please

When will you reply to my question
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Your left ventricle is mildly dilated but for determining your ejection fraction I need ESV and EDV data. You provided only ESV. It is not possible to calculate ejection fraction base on only in one parameter. Mild reduced systolic function range is 40-52% and moderate is 30-40.

I'm sorry I couldn't answer to your question completely due to missing data.

Come back if you have any further questions

Follow up: Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 9 minutes later
Thanks , there is no EDV data only ESV showing 99.5ml , FS is 24.5% from what I sent you can you not work out left ventricular systolic function please doctor , thanks and could I get re scanned to confirm data by yourself
Answered by Dr. Lilit Baghdasaryan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Welcome back

Detailed Answer:
I'll try to do my best to explain your echo without missing data.

There is a dilation of right and left ventricles. left atrium is not dilated, which is a good sign. We don't have ejection fraction data, so we can use FS. It is not as accurate as ejection fraction, but we can use it as we have no other choice. FS is mildly reduced, from which we can suppose that left ventricular systolic function is mildly reduced.
In case of cardiomyopathies it is very important to have well done echo not only once, but also follow-ups. So, I would advise you to have an echo in a experienced cardiology center and keep it to compare with the future echos. It will help us to evaluate treatment effectiveness and plan further procedures.

You can always send your echos for the second opinion. You can send reports and even loops.