What does the colonoscopy test report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Constipation
Question: 55 yr old woman. Normal colonoscopy in 2007 & 2012. No polyps. CT abdomen/pelvis last week unrelated issue. All normal except "focal thickening of colon at splenic flexure. May represent focal cor type malignancy or peristalsis". ER physician did not recommend repeat colonoscopy and went with peristalsis. Should I repeat the normal colonoscopy performed 2 years ago?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please get occult blood in stool and CEA level in blood tested

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. A 1.75 cm length focal wall thickening in the splenic flexure might not be a serious concern if you do not have any disturbing symptoms like alteration in bowel movements, loss of weight or blood in stool.

2. Keeping the focal colon wall thickeining in mind, I would suggest you to take two tests
(i) Stool test for occult blood
(ii) The CEA test to measure the level of carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA) in the blood. High abnormal levels of CEA in the blood require cancer to be ruled out.

3. If any of the tests above are abnormal or if you are having symptoms mentioned above then I would suggest you to go for a colonoscopy.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist