What does the blood test result indicate?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Hello, I recently had a blood test and some of the results were as followed:
my ALT(SGPT) was 49 U/L;
SGOT was 25 U/L;
Triglyceride Mass Volume: 211
The test was done randomly in the middle of the day about 4 months ago, I looked up my results from concern since I have a dull pain on the right side of my ribcage, which could be attributed to many things but given that I had hepatitis B about 10 years ago, I'm always concerned about liver disease.
Can anything be deduced from the above results?
thanks
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

I read carefully your query.

The levels of ALT and AST are within normal range.If the other liver function tests like Bilirubin ,Total Protein etc are normal too, this means that your liver function is normal.
These tests don't indicate any problem with your liver.
The pain on the right side of ribcage might be related with other conditions like cholecystitis,muscular pain ,duodenal ulcer etc.

The Triglycerides level is high (normal range is under 150 mg/dl) ,211 mg/dl is considered high.This is not related with liver problems.
If you have done these test 4 months ago,I would suggest to repeat the test that measure your lipids level.
If triglycerides are still high ,then you can try to bright them in normal level with diet changes,weight loss and regular physical activity.If this is not sufficient you may need to start a treatment to lower them.

Hope it helps.
Dr. Rovena Murati