What does the absence of periods 5 months post delivery suggest?
The current state is known as lactational ammenorrhea.
After delivery all women do not menstruate immediately. Breast feeding causes changes with female hormones and impairs menstruation. Therefore no periods. We call this as lactational ammenorrhea. You need not be worried about the state.
Periods will gradually resume after a few months once she stops breast feeding. Initially her periods will be irregular. Gradually things will get normal with or without medications.
At this point of time, there are no indicators to impair future pregnancy. She should be able to conceive again. However I will recommend you give 2-3 years gap before trying for second pregnancy.
You can involve in sexual intercourse if your partner is comfortable.
Hope I have answered all your questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the suggestions for irregular periods post pregnancy
- What treatment is suggested for irregular periods
- What is the cause of delayed periods post delivery
- Period twice a month then no period
- Absence of periods for 8 months
- Monthly period problem please suggest
- Why are there no periods six months post delivery
- What is the reason for spotting post periods
- What is the suggested medication to induce periods
- What are the reasons for spotting and absence of periods