What does the abdomen MRI report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 27 Jan 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: MRI abdomen pelvis
What does mild diffuse heterogeneous marrow signal identified- no abnormal enhancement seen mean?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your marrow shows normal variation of marrow appearance

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
In the young, the bone marrow is made of cellular elements and described as red marrow. As a child grows to an adult, the amount of red marrow decreases and is replaces by fat elements and is called yellow marrow. This is a normal occurrence. However, the rate of transition from a red to yellow marrow differs in every individual. In some people the marrow can be uniformly fatty past middle age and in few it can still have red marrow components.

Mild diffuse heterogeneous marrow in your case indicates that there are small areas of red marrow with largely fatty marrow distribution. As there is no abnormal enhancement hence it is considered not unusual and a part of normal variations.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist