What does the MRI report indicate?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I sprained my ankle 10 weeks ago. I have had am MRI, the main worrying damage is a 5mm focus of marrow oedema at the far posterolateral corner of the XXXXXXX dome, consistant with an osteochondral injury, no chondral defect or unstable fragment. (I have 2 ligaments with partial tears on the lateral side, and the deltoid has also a partial tear) I saw a specialist who did not look at the MRI, but just read the report and told me I have to have surgery…Short and sweet…I was not satisfied with his bedside manner. I have been living in sports shoes, however the other day I wore wedge boots and now am in much more pain than before. He said I've done as much damage as I could do, but I fear I've hurt it more..Should I get a second opinion, or just accept that I need surgery and go for it? I'm so confused. He is a very reputable ankle surgeon…...
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
second opinion

Detailed Answer:
Hello and I a sorry that you had this experience.
Before you commit to something like a surgery you really want to be comfortable with the surgeon and the evaluation of what they think is going wrong. I suggest that you get a second opinion and request that the surgeon look at the MRI. Take a copy of the MRI with you to the appointment. You deserve to feel comfortable with your surgeon and you deserve an explanation of why they think surgery is necessary.
Doctors often get busy and forget that part of their job is listening to the patients and providing patient education. You deserve this and should demand it from your physicians.
Good luck to you,
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 8 hours later
Thank you so much! I will do! Funnily enough, my ankle feels great today LOL..
Kind regards
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
glad to hear that

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome and I am glad that you are feeling better
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson