What does the MRI report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 3 Mar 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: MRI reads.. Interval posterior decompression from C4-C7 with improved caliber of the thecal sac at these levels nSince the prior study, there has been interval worsening of the protusion at C3-4 with interval worsening of thecal sac diameter. Thecal sac now measures 7mm AP compared to 9mm on previous exam

What symptons would this create?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can cause neck pain radiating to the arm.

Detailed Answer:
The disc compression at the level of C3-C4 will cause a neck pain radiating to the arm. There can be a radicular pain with tingling and numbness in the arm and armpit. The decrease in the diameter of thecal sac is suggestive of a progressively increasing nerve root compression.
The symptoms can be decreased with physiotherapy in form of local ultra sonics/TENS, cervical traction and neck isometric and shoulder strengthening exercises.
This if done properly should help relieve the symptoms. If not, surgical intervention will be imperative. Surgery is required if persistent pressure over the nerve root causes loss of function of the muscles it innervates and sensations it gives to a part of skin.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon