Owl Image

What does the CT imaging of the brain revealing a small calcific focus indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I have done CECT scan for head. As I was feeling severe headache sometime when I bend on right side and I can not move on right side while sleeping due to such kind of pain. I would like to mention here that I am also feeling migration pain also.
Anyhow, my CECT scan shows the following results:
"CT imaging reveals a Small calcific focus is seen at right parietal region".
what it means and rest other statement are normal.
Please reply and suggestions, how can I medicate it remove it from there or what kind of precautions should I take.
5 days ago in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
CT scan abnormalities are not significant.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and I would try my best to help you.

I have noted your clinical and CT brain details. Based on this, the abnormalities are minor and there is no need to worry about that. Calcific focus means a small amount of calcium, which is most often due to a dead worm (like tapeworm). As the worm is already dead, it would not cause any problem.

The cause of your headache is most likely migraine, which can be treated with medications. You can take a preventive medicine such as topiramate or propranolol. For relief of pain, you can take naproxen tablets.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: What does the CT imaging of the brain revealing a small calcific focus indicate? 35 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX for your reply.
I would like to ask another question, As you said it is like a tapeworm, which would be harmful for anyone, and you also said it is a dead worm. How much you sure that it is a dead worm(it will not be harmful). If it is so, why I am feeling pain regularly for last five days, yes it is not a continuous pain but instead it exists for 5-10 Min. only and it is also a movable pain sometimes it is in middle and sometimes in left and right side.
I would request you once again please go through once again my attached reports and scan copy. It is enclosed herewith for your kind perusal.
if it is invisible do let me know.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
I answered based on the report.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back.

I answered based on the report. As the lesion on CT scan is calcified, most probably it is a dead worm. In a live tape worm, there would be enhancement with contrast injection and swelling around the calcified lesion, which are not mentioned in the report.

The CT scan can not be viewed like you are holding in the picture. It needs to be seen by the radiologist, which has already been done and a report was made by them after seeing the films properly.

The cause of headache needs to be evaluated. As I said it could be migraine. In some cases, a calcified lesion (dead worm) can also cause headache. Medicines for pain relief may be taken.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)