What does stinging sensation on the hard palate indicate?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My partial upper plate seems to cause a stinging sensation on my hard palate l I produce more saliva than I used to. Would this be a physical problem or a psycholigical problem?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hypersalivation, over extended denture, consult oral physician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, I have gone through your query.
As far as the stinging sensation and the increased salivation can be secondary to the over extension of the partial denture. Usually when the denture is inserted, it results in excess saliva production, since the body treats denture as a foreign body. It subsides in weeks to months. It is common nothing to worry, it is not psychological problem. Consult a oral physician and get it evaluated. If the denture is over extended, then get it reduced.
I hope i have answered your query. If any queries are there reply me back. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 23 minutes later
Plate fits really well @ I have had it for over 12 months now.
Stinging sensation has been there from the start.
Hypersalivation cause me to swallow @ I push against the plate which makes the problem worse.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
gum/teeth infection, atropine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your reply.
If the denture is good then you need to rule out other causes of hypersalivation like gum and teeth infection. Even any defect in swallowing threshold can also result in excess salivation. I advise you to consult a good prosthodontics and a oral physician and get it evaluated.
If there is tooth or gum infection then it has to be treated. If there are no causes then you can take atropine after consulting the physician.
I hope I have answered your query.
take care.
Dr. Mahesh Kumar T S

Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery