What does stage 3A in GFR test mean?

Nephrologist
Question
Hello Doctor,

My father recently undergone GFR test as part of regult test and it is found that stage 3A.
I am just looking for more details that is there anything serious to worry.We yet to consult the specialist.What will be the typical treatment.
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
dont worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Its just a number and is given by the computer out of a formula fed in that, automatically, with out knowing any thing about you. But we need to know several details about you for the interpretation of that number. There are many laboratories which are giving GFR estimation as a routine now a days and its causing lot of confusion and mental agony to many.
GFR depends on several factors.
age, gender, body weight etc. Its interpretation also depends on presence of hypertension, diabetes, drug therapies, family history of kidney diseases, presence of skin , cardiac, joint disorders, etc.
We also need the basic blood reports like creatinine, and kidney size in the ultrasound etc
You need to know several things in order to tell you whether the GFR esimated by the lab which gave you the etst is appropriate and acceptable or not

Follow-up: What does stage 3A in GFR test mean? 11 hours later
Thanks much sir.my sincere apologies for not providing much details.i just got the same and attached now.and also my father has been taking supermetxl 50,telma20 since 3 years and earier tenelal50 for 4years for High BP.And attor10 for cholestrol since 3years.Kindly suggest

Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Normal

Detailed Answer:
hi,
All the reports appear to be normal. Let him continue with the drugs. He has very low phosphorus which could be due to Vitamin D deficiency. Can you get it done once as the supplementation with vitamin D can make him better otherwise generally and physically. GFR is acceptable for his age though slightly less and you need to monitor creatinine once in 4 months. He can be kept under the followup of a nephrologist if required

Follow-up: What does stage 3A in GFR test mean? 22 hours later
Thanks much sir.will do accordingly.

Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thanks

Detailed Answer:
thank you

Follow-up: What does stage 3A in GFR test mean? 12 hours later
Hello Sir,
As you suggested I have followed up with specialist in XXXXXXX and did the further tests and scan.

I have attached the reports (You can read them as 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8).And the doctor suggested to use the current medicines (only change is Telma 20 to 40mg ) and repeat the test called (ACC) after a month and asked to come for review so that he can tell. And also he said that though scan seems problematic, it is acceptable for this age group. And in the prescription sheet it is written as hypersensitive nephrosclerosis.

I would like to take your suggestion to ensure I am in right direction. Can you please help us to understand further?

1) Is there anything serious and to worry.
2) Can this be cured?
3) Per reference range, for me it looks like all the blood reports seems normal but it is diagnosed as disease.
4) Any risk in long run

Thanks a lot for helping us.

Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
No otoblemp

Detailed Answer:
all the reports appear to be normal though the creatinine is just at upper limit of normal and GFR is slightly low . it's not the age alone but several factors influence GFR. there is no immediate problem with kidneys and I assure you that you are in right track and avoid unnecessary medication to him which can affect his kidneys

Follow-up: What does stage 3A in GFR test mean? 23 hours later
Thanks a ton sir.We were actually worried by seeing scan report.We are now relax with your answer.your suggestion helped indeed.once again thank you very much on behalf of my entire family.h

Answered by Dr. Sree Bhushan Raju 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
thank you

Detailed Answer:
thank you and get back to me in case of any further query. Most important thing in clinical practice is the" followup " as the human body never manifests all at one go. Both ageing and disease are evolving processes. so , keep a followup and inform for any new symptoms/ signs/ reports etc