Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

What does spotting after sex indicate and can I continue having sex and trying for a baby?

Mar 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 5958 Questions
Hi doc we are trying for baby and my wife is also taking elevit multivitamin for last 2 months , we are having regular sex and now for last 2 days wife wife has observed some spotting and it has not been more than 6 days after her last periods can you suggest us something , should we go from some checkup or test just to rule out any other problem We are both in age group of 30 and last period were from 16th till 21st December We don't know now should we continue having sex as the spotting is there or should wait and consult someone about it . Thx very much Regards XXXX
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: CAN BE OVULATORY SPOTTING, BETTER TO CONSULT Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. The days correspond with her probable days of ovulation, if she has been having regular cycles. SO it could be mid cycle ovulatory spotting. Spotting after sex can be due to a cervical polyp, erosion or growth on the cervix. However, since this has not happened before, and is only the first time, I do not think this is the reason. Rarely, spotting after a period can indicate a miscarriage or an ectopic pregnancy. What you can do is continue having sex, and trying for a baby. Meanwhile, you should also consult a gynecologist. She should undergo an internal check up - per speculum and per vaginum. Also, a pelvic ultrasound scan done transvaginally. This will tell you if she is ovulating, or some other pathology is present. All the best. Please feel free to ask further follow up questions. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor