What does sporadic pain in the groin indicate?

Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hello Doctor.
Can you advise what can cause sporadic pain in the groin /pubic area? I had some pain in that area about 2 months ago that was checked for hernia and infection and both came up negative ( no burning during urination etc). The pain eventually went away after about 6-7 days. Well, it came back 3 days ago and it is very uncomfortable to say the least. I do have a history of stomach problems if that helps any but I am at a loss as to why this pain came back. My doctor said to take Advil for the pain and Cipro in the event there is an underlying infection. I prefer not to take additional medication if not needed but is this even possible that there could be an underlying infection, undetectable through a urinalysis, that could be causing this pain? I appreciate any light you may be able to shed on this...
Thank you !
Answered by Dr. Bhagyesh V. Patel 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Different possibilities explained, need ultrasound examination.

Detailed Answer:

* This condition narrates underlying prostate infection, gravels in urinary tract or seminal vesicles issue which may not be shown up on the urine analysis in all cases.

* Guidelines at present

- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Continue current medications.
- Discuss with your doctor regarding the need of ultrasound of the abdomen, pelvis and scrotum to locate the underlying cause and cure in accordance to that for a better outcome.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bhagyesh V. Patel, General Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D