What does "small focal well defined old ischemic/unidentified bright object" mean?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: small focal well defined old ischemic/ unidentified bright object involving the left frontal lobe.
let me know what is etiology for this & clinical signs & treatment.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy may be required for characterizing lesion

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

I assume that you have posted the CT scan report which shows the presence of a well defined lesion in the frontal lobe.
The report identifies the lesion to be either ischemic focus or a mass lesion.
There is a history of convulsions also.
Thus, this lesion in the frontal lobe is the most probable cause of convulsions.
The lesion can be infectious, inflammatory, reactive or neoplastic.

Thus, further investigation is required to know the nature of the lesion.
I suggest you to consult a neurologist for clinical and radiological assessment.
A streotactic biopsy may be required, however, the final decision will be taken by your neurologist only.
Cause is lesion depend on its nature.
Infectious cause is due to infection.
Certain parasites and like cystecercosis, toxoplasma etc can cause brain lesions.
Inflammation can be due to an infection, foreign body, etc.
Reactive condition can arise in response to infection/ inflammation.
Neoplastic lesion can be benign or malignant and the etiology is usually unknown in these conditions.
Ischemic lesion means a lesion with no blood supply or dead or necrosed lesion.

Treatment can be instituted after diagnosing the lesion.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T