What does small fibroid noted in lower segment anteriorly, with large Nabothian cysts in cervix in the ultrasound report mean?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Question: I have received a report: The uterus is normal in size, anteverted and heterogeneous in echotexture. A small likely fibroid is noted in the lower segment anteriorly 8mm, with large Nabothian cysts in the cervix. Endometrial thickness 6mm and not well delineated. Right ovary 2cm cyst. Otherwise normal left ovary small and atropic. No free fluid in pouch of XXXXXXX no adnexal mass or colelction. Thickness could be artefactual what does this mean
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tendency to form myomas, chronic inflammation Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. According to your ultrasound findings : -Uterus is of normal size. Heterogeneous echotexture may indicate tendency to form myomas. Presence of small fibroid may be due to this. - Nabothian cyst in the cervix indicates chronic pelvic inflammation. -Endometrium is not homogeneous. May be because of hyperplasia. - Right ovarian cyst can be a simple cyst. - Usually artefactual thickness is not seen it postmenopausal women. But if you are taking hormone replacement therapy, that may cause increased endometrial thickness. Better to go for endometrial biopsy with your doctor's advice. If biopsy report comes as normal and if the cause of hyperplasia is found to be hormonal only, you may take progesterone tablets with your doctor's advice to treat it. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
I have been treated with merina hormone therapy for 5 years as an implant. Every year I have had to have a D&C removal and replacement of the merina. Would this indicate that the Merina is not working and perhaps a full hysterectomy may stop the tendency to form myomas and chronic inflamation? Cysts have never been treated and have been present for years. I present yearly with low back pain abdo pain on the left side and spotting. Thickening is discovered via a scan then the D&C is scheduled and the merina is replaced. I am 59 do not need the female parts, since Feb 2013 I have lost 28 kilos in weight but the thickening still escalates. Is a hysterectomy a good option for me?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Histopathological examination of the tissue Detailed Answer: Hi, Usually mirena can be kept in place for around 5 years. But as you are having spotting, increased endometrial thickness while being on mirena also, better to get evaluated once. After undergoing D&C, the tissue has to be sent for histopathological examination. If there is any abnormal changes better to go for hysterectomy. If the tissue changes indicates only hormonal imbalance, you can try with progesterone tablets for few months. Progesterone pills by decreasing the estrogen predominance can lead to regression of myomas and endometrium. Intrauterine device can cause side effects like pain abdomen, backache etc. By using tablets these symptoms can be decreased to some extent. If the tablets do not work and endometrial growth continues better to go for hysterectomy. Take care.