What does small bump on the breast suggest?

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi I have a small (size of my pinkie nail) bump on my left breast. I am a 26 year old female. The bump looks like an in grown hair and some puss does come out but it doesn't seem to have an in grown hair. This bump reoccurs and my areoles on both breast get flakey. I also get red rashes on my left breast in the same area that come and go. I have had the bump about four different times the past year and same with the rashes. Do you know what this could be?
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It looks like a Sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:

Apologies for the late reply...

From your description it sounds like a sebaceous cyst. It occurs in relation to hair follicle. I get to see many similar cases every day at my out patient clinic. You need not be overly worried about it.
The red rash associated is due to infection and associated inflammation. Therefore I will recommend you use antibitiotic like cindamycin capsule along with anti inflammatory tablet initially.

As sebaceous cyst are known for recurrence it is better we get this cyst excised once the infection subsides. If possible plan a visit to a surgeon and discuss about the option of cyst removal.

Hope this helped. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon