What does "slightly bulky uterus" and "bulky cystic left ovary" mean?

Dr. Dattaprasad

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am attaching my medical reports and ultrasound reports. This was done because my TSH value was high. I had been already diagonised with PCOS. Now the report says that my uterus is slightly bulky and also a bulky cystic left ovary. Kindly explain the result.
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 47 minutes later
Brief Answer: All reports appear fine. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX All of your reports appear to be fine except for anemia (reduced hemoglobin) for which you need to take iron supplement. Slightly bulky uterus on ultrasound is a normal finding unless you are having some symptoms of heavy/painful flow during menses. If you are already having kids & not planning for pregnancy, you need not worry at all. Regarding cystic ovary, radiologist has himself/herself mentioned it to be physiological, meaning normal & no need to worry. Ultrasound of neck appears to be essentially normal. What was your TSH level. If it was too high & you have been prescribed Thyroxin, please continue it. For anemia, please take iron supplement. Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other concerns. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Dattaprasad 38 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your reply. But I think you have missed out pages 2-9 of by blood test report (2nd attachment). The TPO antibody (page 2 ) is 310 and TSH (pg.7) is 11.3. Prolactin, serum by CMIA (pg.4) is 33.4. All these values are marked high. I do not have heavy/painful flow during menses. I am not on Thyroxin presently as this is the first time I am doing these tests. Also, due to problems in my first marriage, I still don't have kids but ofcourse not planning for kids until I settle in life again. What should I anticipate doctor? regarding a chance of pregnancy in future and the hormonal imbalances?
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Try not to delay conception too long. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. Sorry. I had indeed seen only first page. Regarding your other reports, Prolactin level of 33.4 is not much of problem. Its elevated due to high TSH & will come to normal after treatment of hypothyroidism. As your TPO antibodies are high along with high TSH, it indicates high risk of developing clinical hypothyroidism. You need to take Tab. Thyroxine 50-100mcg daily depending on your body weight in consultation with your doctor. One more important thing, your blood tests indicate Vitamin D deficiency & you need treatment for that. Normally we give Vitamin D3, 60000U orally alternate days for 5-8 tablets/sachets & then 60000U once in 6 months. You can consult your doctor for the same. Coming to the point of chance of pregnancy in future, your USG report says bulky uterus which may indicate chance of future adenomyosis & if it develops it can cause problems in conception. Though it should not cause problems in immediate near future, try not to delay conception too long so as to avoid problems in future. So summarizing treatment, you need 1. Thyroxine replacement 2. Vitamin D3 supplement 3. Treatment of anemia 4. Try not to delay conception too long. Hope this helps you. Wish you good health. Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Dattaprasad 59 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your well explanatory reply. I do experience problems like acne, hair loss, memory loss (which I am sure was not this bad earlier), and hirsutism (which I believe is related to PCOS) . Can I associate these problems to my medical condition described? Can I expect a relief from these symptoms once I am one the medicines for the above problems. Just anxious.. Thanks again
Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 9 hours later
Brief Answer: partial relief expected. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome back. You can expect partial relief in your symptoms in 6-8 weeks. As you are not desirous of pregnancy right now, you can take any oral contraceptive containing cyproterone or drosperinone. It should, along with the other medicines I suggested, give you more than 90% relief in 3-6 months. Kindly do some exercise for at least 30 minutes daily to negate effects of PCOS on your body. Wish you good health. Regards.