• question-icon

What does "sinus rhythm long QTC: possible hypocalcemia or T-U fusion" mean?

Posted on Fri, 5 Sep 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Question: What does sinus rhythm long QTC: possible hypocalcemia or T-U fusion mean ?

it also says possible left atrial abnormality
low qrs voltages in precordial leads.

I am having some fluttering that used to be intermittent, becoming more persistent last couple days. Should I be concerned?
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
PLease, consult a cardiologist!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this fluttering and EKG abnormalities that you have reported and all the inconveniences this must have caused you. These results sound like automated interpretation from an ECG machine. I am sure it was not interpreted by a trained and qualified EKG reader. I will not want you to get worried on findings that may not necessarily represent the true state of affairs.

I will suggest that you keep a cool head. Get a cardiologist consult and let your heart be evaluated completely. At the end of this, you would have a clear idea on what to do as concerns your symptoms. The possible hypocalcemia or TU fusion refers to what the suggested abnormal findings may represent but, I would rather get the findings controlled and confirmed abnormal before going on to suggest possible causes.

In all, stay calm and get a cardiologist consult. A good interpretation is needed to make the right diagnosis and propose a plan of action.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thank you so mush for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 7 hours later
can any of these things be medication related? have been taking penicillin for a tooth infection as well as hydrocodone. I forgot to mention I also take insulin (lantus) 45 i time a day.

I will follow up with my doctor. This was an interpretation from an auto-read ekg and not a trained professional. Since I am having these palpitations/flutterings a lot in the last 24 hrs., I am worried that I need to go to ER or can wait to see my MD.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 days later
Brief Answer:
Wait and see your MD!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this follow up precision.

I will suggest that you fix an appointment and get a regular D visit with your treating physician. This would be the best approach. If there is no acute deterioration like low blood pressure, unconsciousness, etc., there is no point for an ER visit right now.

These are unlikely to be medication related. I will like to see them confirmed as such first before rushing to explore possible causes. Still not settled on what the exact abnormality is.

I hope this helps. I wish you well.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah