What does single sided deafness means?

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Thu, 24 Jan 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I want to know about single sided deafness
Please help me to know the disability percentage in case of single sided deafness
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Single sided deafness means significant or total hearing loss in one ear. There are many causes for it, the commonest being a sudden loss of hearing in one ear.

The disability percentage can be determined on an individual by a series of evaluations including the Speech, spatial and qualities of hearing scale (SSQ) assessment and other tests such as an Audiometry.

Only with a careful assessment by an ENT specialist will the disability percentage be charted out.

I hope to have answered your query.

Let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 8 hours later
Thank you Mam for your reply....
Please tell me the total time and cost involved in all the above mentioned test.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 14 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

The total time involved in both the SSQ assessment and Audiometry together would be around an hour.

SSQ assessment is done by your ENT specialist, it consists of a series of questions that you need to answer on a set of questions. It would take 10 to 15 minutes of your time.

The Audiometry takes less than half an hour to perform and should not cost you more than 1500 INR.

Hope this helps you.