What does sharp and burning pain in the shoulder blades indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I am a 37 year old female. I have been having this sharp, stinging and burning pain in my left shoulder blade region. It has been going on since November with no injury to the area. There have been no signs of a rash on my skin. it has been ongoing with no relief even with medication that my family doctor has prescribed. He had me on a muscle relaxer, a steroid and a pain killer. Then i was put on lyrica. None of this has helped.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Paraesthesia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,
As per you history you have already taken steroid,analgesic,muscle relaxant etc and is not yet relieved.
Burning stinging and sharp pain in a particular area without any rash and not responding to medications can be paraesthesia.
Paresthesia is an abnormal sensation such as tingling, tickling, pricking, numbness or burning of a person's skin with no apparent physical cause.
It can occur when too much pressure (compression) is applied to a nerve by surrounding tissues,In some cases,this tissue might be bone or cartilage, such as in the case of a herniated spinal disk that compresses a nerve root. In other cases, muscle or tendons may cause the condition.This pressure causes inflammation of the nerve and disrupts the nerve's function.
I would suggest you to consult a neurologist.You would be started on pregabalin for few days and methylcobalamine 1500mcg for 3 months.Possibily a MRI would be suggested to rule out nerve compression.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 12 hours later
Would you advise trying acupuncture prior to consulting a neurologist?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
initially i would suggest you to consult a neurologist.Gey your diagnosis confirmed.After that if you want you can follow accupuncture.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T