• question-icon

What does severe upper abdominal discomfort indicate?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in General Health
Question: I have had severe discomfort in my upper stomach for a week. The pain is now in my back. I used 2 fleet enema's today and took 2 FDgard pills. I was not able to go to the bathroom after the enemas. It is a constant pain
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pancreatitis and gastritis are the main possibilities to consider

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query. There are two things to consider: gastritis and pancreatitis. I would insist you to get blood tested for amylase and lipase levels. If they are raised it indicates pancreatitis and in that case you would need to get a hospital based treatment. If the test results are normal possibly it is due to gastritis.

In order to relieve yourself, you need to do the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Avoid alcohol intake (if it a part of your habit).
* Take Prilosec (omeprazole) once daily before breakfast.
* Take plenty of green leafy vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase your dietary fiber intake.
* Regular morning walk and exercise to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Take curd or yogurt on daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.
* Stress reduction has a very important role to play. Yoga and meditation should help.

Hopefully that should help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha