What does severe toe pain indicate during nighttime?

Dr. Gopal Goel

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 28 Sep 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Good morning
I have a sharp pain in my left toe only
Only when I'm laying down at night ready to sleep
Some times rubbing it helps and the pain goes way
Repositioning my leg or bending my leg or laying on my right side it also helps and the pain goes way.
But when I have the pain can be a 10 (1-10 pain scale)
When I'm up and walking no pain .

Thank you XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be a neurological pain.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
Reading the history, it appears that you could have
1. Local toe pain could be due to arthritis - but this pain should occur more often while walking or using toes and should be relieved by rest.
2. Neurological pain : This is usually radiating pain from back downwards but can occur at some points and may be relieved by the maneuvers you have just described. Even though it appears distant cause, but likely one in your case.
I suggest you start pregabalin+ Methycobalamin , Pain killers and muscle relaxants.
MRI + NCV will help in arriving at a diagnosis.
I hope that this helps you . Please feel free to ask any other question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj