What does severe pain in the feet at night in a diabetic indicate?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Diabetes
Question: my husband is 86 years old and he has type 2 Diabetes His main problem is his feet burning and stinging at night. D o you have any answers. He uses 30 units of Lanus insulin and a sliding scale for regular insulin. Please help us.
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Diabetic neuropathy is suspected;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern regarding to your husband's health.
The pain you described is due to a chronic damage of the periferic nerves from Diabetes, called Diabetic neuropathy.
There are some medications helping to relieve this kind of pain: amiltriptylin, pregabalin, gabapentin, tramadol ect. You should discuss with his treating physician which of them is suitable for him ( having into consideration the presence of other pathologies like hypertension that may be aggravated from some of them).
Of course the blood sugar should be maintained within the normal ranges or target ranges as recommended by his physician to prevent further aggravation of the neuropathy.
Hope the information will help.
Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad