What does severe pain in the chest indicate while breathing?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 4 Oct 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, for a while I've had these occasional sharp and sudden pains when I breathe out, they tend to only happen once and can't feel anything after. It's mainly on the left side, sometimes in the middle left of my chest, sometimes to the left of the bottom of my ribs and sometimes the middle of my back. It usually happens when I'm sitting hunched over. I have a history of asthma, allergy to dust/cats/dogs and only have one kidney which I think is on the left side. I occasionally take my inhailer but it's a few months out of date. Any insight would be appreciated, thanks :)
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Incidental pain, not suggestive of any specific disease condition.

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed this information fully. It is not suggestive of any specific disease condition. This is purely incidental and warrants treatment plan.

The best approach is to identify things/conditions that provoke the pain and avoid them. Unless something else changes, like the frequency or intensity of pain, you are good and stay calm.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ivo Ditah, Internal Medicine Specialist