question-icon

What does severe pain in the back and ankles indicate?

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2020
Question: hello dr. my sis age is 34 and she has a back pain from the last 1month. she cant sit for long after 5-10 mins sitting she feels unbearable pain and she has to lay down but she cant even sleep properly bcoz of pain and she is feeling spasms in her lower back. and if you talk about standing position so she is not able to stand now a days. she has a pain from lower back to ankle. pain in legs she has from many years but back pain suddenly she is feeling from month. for your knowledge i m attaching you the mri scan report which she has done yesterday.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Surgery may be needed.

Detailed Answer:

I have seen the attached MRI scan report. Your sister has a disc prolapse and a nerve root compression at the level of L4-L5 -S1 along with multiple small cysts that are causing this nerve root compression.

The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with her symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from her orthopedician.

Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. She can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.

Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.

Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions.

Surgical excision of the cysts may need to be considered if all the abovesaid treatment measures do not help.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon