What does severe pain in the back and ankles indicate?
Surgery may be needed.
I have seen the attached MRI scan report. Your sister has a disc prolapse and a nerve root compression at the level of L4-L5 -S1 along with multiple small cysts that are causing this nerve root compression.
The main treatment of such problem is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with her symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic. You can get these prescribed from her orthopedician.
Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. She can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is not advisable in the times of acute pain.
Using an LS contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.
Physiotherapy also plays a major role in treating such conditions.
Surgical excision of the cysts may need to be considered if all the abovesaid treatment measures do not help.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr Praveen Tayal, Orthopaedic Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes nausea and severe pain in ankle
- Severe pain in back passage
- Have severe pain in the back and the spine
- What causes severe pain in the upper back shoulders
- What indicates severe pain in scapula fingers and back
- What causes severe pain at back and legs
- What causes severe pain from back to arm
- What could cause severe pain in lower back with vomiting
- Sneeze and severe pain in back
- Severe pain in the right chest what does this indicate