What does semen analysis test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Infertility Problem
Question: my husband is 34 years old,his semen analysis came back with count-1.600 and motility 30% .can he attain normal count and motility with medicines?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details required

Detailed Answer:

I have read you query and I understand your concerns about semen analysis.

Following is my reply:

1) Your report is incomplete.

2) Is the sperm count 1.6 million per ml ?

3) How much is sluggish and rapid motility? How much is morphology ?

4) I request you to scan and attach a copy of semen analysis report so that I can analyze and let you know the details.

Let me know the details so that I can help you.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 36 minutes later
would like your advice regarding the report.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat semen analysis

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for attaching report.

Sperm count is very less as per report. Natural pregnancy is not possible with such report.

You have to go for ICSI treatment to conceive with such low sperm count.

But before going ahead with any treatment, I suggest you repeat semen analysis in a different laboratory. This will help you to confirm if really there is such a low sperm count.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 18 minutes later
he is a non-smoker,non-drinker,no past medical history,no problems hereditary wise and occupational wise.he drinks 4-5 cups coffee daily and we do use a gas heater in our bedroom 24 hours, but not high temperature can this have any effect.
Is there any possibility provided only one healthy sperm is needed to fertilize an egg.

how many days of abstinence is ideal for a good sample and what are the other things to bear in mind when we take the next sample.he normally work night shifts.if the results are still the same can medicines like clomid and HCG therapy bring up his count?
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 21 minutes later

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
3 days abstinence

Detailed Answer:

Coffee, heaters wont have effect. Stress and night shifts do have effect on sperms.

There is possibility of one sperm enough for fertilizing an egg. But atleast 15 million per ml are needed for achieving normal pregnancy.

3 days of abstinence is required for getting good semen analysis. No need of clomid or hCG without analyzing semen again.
Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist