What does sedimentation rate at 38 mean?

Dr. Anshul Varshney

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: what doe sedimentation means at 38
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
ESR

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend
Welcome to HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney. I understand your concern.
I suppose by saying sedimentation rate you mean to say Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate (ESR).
ESR is a non-specific marker. It can be increased in any infection or inflammation , so it is co-related clinically with other signs and symptoms , as well as with other investigations.
So , I need to evaluate you regarding this high ESR.
ESR Of 38 mm/hr is high, and requires evaluation.
I need to know following:
1. Do you have any pain , in the muscles or in the joints? Are you having any stiffness in morning associated with pain?
2. Any history Reddening of eyes frequently, oral ulcers, any rashes , or any other medical history?
3. Any recent fever or any fever of long duration?
4. Any cough or expectoration?
5. Any history of diabetes?

Revert me with these details for a better help.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 1 hour later
no red in eyes have been burning up at night no cought yes I have pains in leg and knee and hip not really stiffness don't have diabetes my mom had this I have acalashia and gastroparenetis and I have been off ivs for 3 weeks so with all this could it be infection I was starting to have pains just every so often in hip now it is more steadily and it starting to feel right at my incision
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend
Yes this can be because of infection at the incision site .
I would advise you to get it examined by your doctor and if he feels the wound is unhealthy he would provide you with the prescription of antibiotic like Augmentin.
This ESR would settle once your infection is controlled.
In case the wound is healthy, get your hemogram with ESR repeated after 15 days.
Revert back to me with reports. If further course of action is required I would tell you.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
one more question the incision looks good wright now but it really hurts there before it was pain that comes and go now steady pain is there another way tell if it is infected
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Infection is clinically identified on a wound by its margins, granulation tissue and healing.
If suspicion is high for infected wound we simply send a pus culture and sensitivity and wait for its growth.
If the wound is healthy then you should get it repeated after 15 days.
Revert back to me after 15 days with reports.
If you have any further query please ask me, else kindly close the discussion and rate it.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 10 hours later
1 more thing my hip has pain in dame place where my infection was at feels like it is back on incision but nothing just pain
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need details

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
I would like to know about the details of your surgery. Have you underwent surgery for Achlasia or some hip surgery?
Provide me details as well as why your surgery was done.
Stay Healthy
hip replacement surgery it just feels like laying on that side like a big lump on it when I lay down on that side and he hurts again when I was on iv he was feeling better and now when I move my leg side to side it hurts
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detail follows

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
It seems your pain seems to be due to implant that has been implanted during hip replacement surgery.
You may discuss your problem with An orthopedic surgeon.
I don't think your ESR is high due to this problem.
Since you are anemic your ESR can also be high due to that. Get your anemia treated and once again get your ESR done.
ESR is very non specific marker. Stop worrying too much for that.
Till you get an orthopedic opinion for pain purpose you may take Tablet Tramadol 37.5 mg as on when required basis.
Stay Healthy.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 4 hours later
no my anemic is treated with meds and still esr is still high my implant don't hurt as much as my incision like when I sat down today on it it burn feeling then I do some exercises on it and it starting to hurt moving my legs side to side it just feels different you don't think infection getting in my blood cause I also have uti bladder and cant get in to see my dr she is on leave three more weeks to get antibiotics thanks
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detail follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
If you were anemic recently and got treated this ESR would take time to settle down. It is unlikely to be raised due to implant. Its difficult to comment without examination that your incision scar is healthy or not. Most of the times incision scar during healing gives stretching pain due to fibrosis.
Now if you talk about UTI,kindly mention what made you feel that? Any fever or burning in urine associated?
Revert with details.