What does rolling of lower lip inside mouth after surgery suggest?

Posted on Wed, 17 Jun 2015 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Question: Hi Doctor! I underwent surgery for adherent scar (under my lower lip/chin area) release about five weeks ago. ( In XXXXXXX 2012 I had a Chin implant put intraorally...which was taken out it Sept 2012 because of infection. Thereafter I noticed that an adherent scar tissue had formed under my lower lip which was occasionally causing tightness, restriction of motion as well as my fast speech...and... so, therefore, I underwent this 'adherent scar release surgery' last month ) Well, now I have the following issues: 1. the left side of my lower lip is rolling inside the mouth and 2. I have problem in speaking certain words esp. those containing letter 'F'... I can't hold air inside my mouth without the bottom lip popping out...and also I can't whistle. Anyhow, I have not noticed any issues related to the movement of my lips and surrounding area – seems like ‘movement controlling nerve’ is OK . Well, I think that all these problems are happening because of a cut (which appeared after surgery) on the inside of my lower lip, weakness of some muscle and higher placement of suture on the left side gingiva. So, what is your observation and suggestion???
Answered by Dr. Surindher 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
in my opinion you should wait for now.,

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using healthcaremagic.com

From your mail it seems that the release was done 5 weeks back so it is still in the healing phase.

I feel the scars inside might be pulling on the lip not allowing it full and free movement for you to pronounce certain words well. I do not think its a nerve problem.

The scars contract by 4-6 or 7 weeks and then slowly star relaxing by the 12-14th week. I would suggest is still wait for the swelling to go and the scars to mature. You could do some massages and pull on the lip to lengthen the lip scar.

Alternatively if it is too hard or tight then your surgeon could give you some steroids in the scar release them.

But either way for any further intervention it is best to wait till 12 weeks and then plan. If the scar is tight and is interfering with speech then a Z plasty could be done to release it.

Please keep in touch with your surgeon and follow what he says. Might take a few more weeks of discomfort.

Wishing you a speedy recovery

Dr.Surindher
www.cosmesisindia.com

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Surindher

Cosmetic & Plastic Surgeon